Why we collect your personal data and what we do with it
When you supply your personal details to this clinic they are stored and processed for 4 reasons (the bits in bold are the relevant terms used in the Data Protection Act 2018, which includes the General Data Protection Regulation – ie. the law):
- We need to collect personal information about your health in order to provide you with the best possible treatment. Your requesting treatment and our agreement to provide that care constitutes a contract. You can, of course, refuse to provide the information, but if you were to do that we would not be able to provide treatment.
- We have a “Legitimate Interest” in collecting that information, because without it we couldn’t do our job effectively and safely.
- We also think that it is important that we can contact you in order to confirm your appointments with us or to update you on matters related to your medical care. This again constitutes “Legitimate Interest”, but this time it is your legitimate interest.
- Provided we have your consent, we may occasionally send you general health information in the form of articles, advice or newsletters. You may withdraw this consent at any time – just let us know by any convenient method.
We have a legal obligation to retain your records for 8 years after your most recent appointment (or age 25, if this is longer), but after this period you can ask us to delete your records if you wish. Otherwise, we may retain your records indefinitely in order that we can provide you with the best possible care should you need to see us at some future date. Please refer to Park View Clinic’s Terms and Conditions regarding retention schedules of any business contractual arrangements that you are engaged with.
Your records are stored on electronically on our office computers and/or on paper in locked filing cabinets or in our locked archive room. The clinic is locked and alarmed out of working hours.
Our office computers are password-protected with a second password required to access your records. For cloud backup the data is encrypted and stored and stored on servers complying with the Data Protection Act. The clinic is locked and alarmed out of working hours.
We will never share your data with anyone who does not need access without your written consent. Only the following people/agencies will have routine access to your data:
- Your practitioner(s) in order that they can provide you with treatment
- Our reception staff, because they organise our practitioners’ diaries, and coordinate appointments and reminders.
Processing medical insurance claims may require us to confidentially provide your contact details as well as information about your health and the treatment provided by your practitioner.
We also use Mailchimp and Brevo to coordinate our messages, and ReHabMyPatient for some online exercise prescription, so your name and email address may be saved on their servers.
From time to time, we may have to employ consultants to perform tasks which might give them access to your personal data (but not your medical notes). We will ensure that they are fully aware that they must treat that information as confidential, and we will ensure that they sign a non-disclosure agreement.
You have the right to see what personal data of yours we hold, and you can also ask us to correct any factual errors. Provided the legal minimum period has elapsed, you can also ask us to erase your records.
We want you to be absolutely confident that we are treating your personal data responsibly, and that we are doing everything we can to make sure that the only people who can access that data have a genuine need to do so.
If Park View Clinic, or substantially all of its assets were acquired, or in the unlikely event that Park View Clinic goes out of business or enters bankruptcy, user information would be one of the assets that is transferred or acquired by a third-party. You acknowledge that such transfers may occur, and that any acquirer of Park View Clinic may continue to use your personal information as set forth in this policy.
Park View Clinic engages Google Analytics and the MonsterInsight plugin for WordPress, limited to any user with administrator level privileges on our website.
Park View Clinic discloses client Google Analytics information with prior user consent only to those of its employees, contractors, and affiliated organisations that;
- need to know that information in order to process it on Park View Clinic’s behalf or to provide the services available at Park View Clinic websites; and
- to provide necessary technical support or prepare marketing strategy for our services.
As part our business operations, Park View Clinic uses third-party software and cloud services from Microsoft, Apple, Google and others as well as financial institutions to provide various services which may involve processing data on our behalf. Park View Clinic takes all reasonable endeavours to ensure all our client’s data is secure and is committed to only engage with third-parties who can offer us equal assurance.
Of course, if you feel that we are mishandling your personal data in some way, you have the right to complain. Complaints need to be sent to what is referred to in the jargon as the “Data Controller”.
Here are the details you need for that:
The Data Controller
Park View Clinic Ltd
35 Chesswood Road
Tel: 01903 230066
If you are not satisfied with our response, then you have the right to raise the matter with the Information Commissioner’s Office.